The Basque Coast, located in the Basque Country in northern Spain, is a unique and charming tourist destination that combines spectacular beaches, quality hotels and a wide variety of activities and attractions. In this article, we will show you the best of the Basque Coast and help you plan your trip.
Best Beaches of the Basque Coast
The Basque Coast has stunning and varied beaches, from long sandy beaches to small hidden coves. Some of the best beaches are:
Considered one of the most beautiful urban beaches in Europe, La Concha offers a relaxed atmosphere and calm waters ideal for swimming.
Laga Beach (Ibarrangelu)
This long golden sandy beach, surrounded by stunning scenery, is perfect for water sports and nature lovers.
Sopelana Beach (Sopelana)
With its spectacular cliffs and blue waters, Sopelana beach is an ideal place to surf and enjoy the scenery.
The Best Hotels to stay in the Basque Coast
The Basque Coast offers a wide variety of hotels for all tastes and budgets. Some of the most recommended are:
Hotel Maria Cristina (San Sebastian).
This luxurious 5-star hotel, located in the center of San Sebastian, has elegant rooms, a spa and a high quality restaurant.
Hotel Ercilla Embarcadero (Getxo)
Set in a former seafront mansion, this 4-star hotel offers rooms with sea views and a quiet, relaxed atmosphere.
Hotel Atxurra (Bermeo)
This charming 3-star rural hotel, located in the middle of nature, offers comfortable rooms and a restaurant serving traditional Basque cuisine.
What to see and do on the Basque Coast?
The Basque Coast offers a wide variety of activities and tourist attractions, such as:
- Visiting the Guggenheim Museum (Bilbao): This iconic contemporary art museum is a must on any visit to the Basque Coast.
- Walk the Flysch Route (Zumaia): A breathtaking tour of cliffs and beaches that reveal millions of years of geological history.
- Taste the Basque gastronomy: The Basque Coast is famous for its delicious cuisine, with pintxos and high quality restaurants in every corner.
Where does the Basque Coast begin and end?
The Basque Coast stretches for about 200 kilometers in the Basque Country, from the mouth of the Bidasoa River, on the border with France, to the town of Muskiz, near the border with Cantabria.
Why is the Basque Coast so called?
The Basque Coast gets its name because it is located in the Basque Country, an autonomous region in northern Spain. The coast reflects Basque culture and traditions, and is a unique and charming destination.
When is the best time to travel to the Basque Coast?
The best time to visit the Basque Coast is during the months of June through September, when temperatures are warmer and the weather is more conducive to enjoying the beach and outdoor activities. However, spring and autumn are also good times to visit, as temperatures are milder and there are fewer tourists.
How to get to the Basque Coast?
There are several ways to get to the Basque Coast:
- Plane: The nearest airport is Bilbao Airport, which receives domestic and international flights. From there, you can rent a car or take a bus or train to reach your destination on the coast.
- Car: The AP-8 freeway and the N-634 national highway connect the Basque Coast with other regions of Spain, making it easy to reach by car.
- Train: The medium distance train line MD and the high speed train (AVE) connect Madrid, Barcelona and other Spanish cities with Bilbao and San Sebastian, from where you can take a suburban train or a bus to reach the towns of the Basque Coast.
In short, the Basque Coast is a unique and charming tourist destination, with spectacular beaches, quality hotels and a wide variety of activities and places of interest to enjoy. Its rich culture, exquisite gastronomy and breathtaking landscapes make this corner of the Basque Country a perfect place for an unforgettable vacation. Don’t wait any longer to explore the Basque Coast and discover all it has to offer.