The Skeleton Coast is a dazzling and mysterious stretch of Namibia’s Atlantic coast, known for its arid landscapes, historic shipwrecks, and vast sand dunes. This guide will provide you with all the necessary information to plan an unforgettable trip to this impressive region, from the best activities to accommodation and local cuisine.
What to do on the Skeleton Coast?
The Skeleton Coast offers a variety of exciting activities for all tastes and ages. Here are some popular options:
|Activity||Recommended number of people||Approximate price||Location|
|Seal watching||1-5||60-80 USD||Cape Cross|
|Shipwreck tour||1-10||100-150 USD||Swakopmund|
|4×4 excursion to the dunes||1-6||80-120 USD||Walvis Bay|
Hotels and apartments near the Skeleton Coast
Find the perfect accommodation on the Skeleton Coast to enjoy an unforgettable experience.
|Hotel||Stars||Approximate price||Location||Main services|
|Skeleton Coast Lodge||4||200-300 USD||Swakopmund||Wi-Fi, Pool, Restaurant|
|Dune Star Camp||3||100-150 USD||Namib-Naukluft||Breakfast included, Guided tours|
Nearby places and attractions on the Skeleton Coast
The Skeleton Coast has numerous places of interest and tourist attractions. Here are some of them:
- Skeleton Coast National Park: Explore the natural diversity and stunning beauty of this national park.
- Swakopmund: Visit this charming coastal town with a rich history and German colonial architecture.
- Walvis Bay: Enjoy dolphin watching and water activities in this popular bay.
Where to Eat in the Skeleton Coast?
Satisfy your appetite at one of these excellent restaurants in the Skeleton Coast.
|Restaurant||Cuisine||Approximate Price||Location||Featured Dishes|
|The Tug||Seafood||20-40 USD||Swakopmund||Lobster, Catch of the day|
|Farmhouse Deli||International||10-25 USD||Walvis Bay||Salads, Gourmet sandwiches|
Weather in the Skeleton Coast
The Skeleton Coast has a desert climate, with moderate temperatures throughout the year. Humidity is usually low, making the environment quite dry. The best time to visit the Skeleton Coast is between May and October, when temperatures range between 15 and 25 degrees Celsius, and weather conditions are more favorable for outdoor activities.
Where is and how to get to the Skeleton Coast?
The Skeleton Coast is located on the Atlantic coast of Namibia, in southwestern Africa. Here are some transportation options to get to this fascinating destination:
- Plane: Hosea Kutako International Airport (WDH) is the main entry point to Namibia. From there, you can take a domestic flight to Walvis Bay Airport (WVB) or Swakopmund Airport (SWP).
- Car: Renting a car is an excellent option for exploring the Skeleton Coast at your own pace. Most routes are well maintained, but a 4×4 vehicle is recommended to access more remote areas.
- Public transportation: Inter-city buses connect major cities in Namibia, including Swakopmund and Walvis Bay.
Map of the location of the Skeleton Coast
Keep in mind that flight and car rental prices may vary depending on the season and demand. It is recommended to book in advance to get the best available rates.