Lake Coatepeque is a crater lake located in the department of Santa Ana, in western El Salvador. It is located at an altitude of 746 meters above sea level, has a maximum depth of 115 meters and an area of 25.3 km². The lake is surrounded by beautiful mountains and lush vegetation, making it an ideal place to relax and enjoy nature.
What to do in Lake Coatepeque?
There are a wide variety of activities to do at Lake Coatepeque, from water sports to boating, hiking and cave exploration. Some of the most popular activities include:
- Boat rides: enjoy a relaxing boat ride on the lake while taking in the panoramic views of the surrounding mountains.
- Snorkeling and scuba diving: explore the crystal clear waters of the lake while discovering the rich fauna and flora that inhabit it.
- Hiking: there are several hiking trails around the lake that offer spectacular views and an experience of contact with nature.
- Cave exploration: there are several caves around the lake, some of which are open to the public for exploration.
- Water sports: water sports such as water skiing, kayaking and paddleboarding are available.
Hotels and Apartments near Lake Coatepeque
There are several hotels and apartments near Lake Coatepeque that offer a variety of accommodations to suit all needs and budgets. Some of the best hotels and apartments include:
- Hotel Alicante: this hotel is located on the shore of the lake and offers spectacular views of the lake. It has a swimming pool, restaurant, bar and comfortable and cozy rooms.
- Lake Coatepeque House: this apartment is located on a hill overlooking the lake and has a private terrace with swimming pool. It is ideal for groups or large families.
- Rancho San Cayetano: this eco-friendly hotel is located on a coffee farm and has a beautiful view of the lake. It offers comfortable and cozy rooms, as well as a restaurant with typical food of the region.
Where to eat at Lake Coatepeque
Lake Coatepeque has a wide variety of dining options to satisfy all tastes. Some of the best places to eat include:
- Mirador de la Playa: This restaurant has a privileged location on a hill with panoramic views of the lake. They serve a wide variety of seafood dishes, meats and vegetarian options.
- Donde La Abuela Restaurant: This restaurant is known for its authentic Salvadoran food, with dishes such as pupusas, fried yucca and ripe plantains. They also offer seafood and meat options.
- El Mesón de Maria: This restaurant is located in a beautiful country house near the lake and offers a wide variety of international and Salvadoran cuisine, with fresh, local ingredients.
- El Roble Restaurant: Located on a hill with breathtaking views of the lake, this restaurant offers fresh seafood options, as well as meat dishes and vegetarian options.
- El Cadejo Brewing Company: This place is ideal for beer lovers, as it has a craft brewery and a selection of delicious dishes to accompany it. It also has a beautiful view of the lake from its terrace.
The Weather in Coatepeque Lake El Salvador
The climate in Lake Coatepeque is tropical with warm and pleasant temperatures throughout the year, with an average temperature of 25°C (77°F). The rainy season runs from May to October, with September and October being the months with the most rainfall.
Where is and how to get to Lake Coatepeque?
To get to Lake Coatepeque from San Salvador, there are several transportation options. You can take a bus from the Terminal de Occidente to the city of Santa Ana and then take another bus that will take you directly to the lake. You can also take a cab or a private car, and the trip takes about 45 minutes.